head shot.jpg

Hi there!!

Welcome! Here at Crafting the Good Life I’m dedicated to helping you create a more simple and enjoyable life through DIY Projects and Easy Recipes!

DIY Painted Dresser

DIY Painted Dresser

This DIY Painted dresser is an easy and cheap way to add storage to a bedroom. Learn exactly how to paint your own dresser to give it a wonderful make-over so it can fit in any space.

DIY Painted Dresser

The following post contains affiliate links. Crafting the Good Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Back in the summer of 2015, a good friend of mine was moving and they were going to donate one of their old dressers. I was so excited that they let me take it so I could do my very first piece of furniture!! It had a strange finish on it and the top had some pealing pieces, almost like it was covered in paper...I wasn't sure what it was made of and I knew I wanted to make sure you couldn't see the change in texture after I was finished painting. Since that would take a bunch of coats and I wasn't really sure if my chalk paint would stick, I decided to prime it first.

I used Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 primer that I got from Home Depot,also sold on amazon, and then used old Annie Sloan chalk paint (i think about $35) I had left over from an old painting class I took. I used "old white". Since I started this project I have learned how to DIY chalk paint though! 

I used 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.

Then, I finished it with minwax polyurethane clear satin finish. This looked terrible and gave it a yellowish tint. So I had to start again. (two years later oops)

So, TWO YEARS LATER and pregnant, I sanded the finish a bit and repainted. I just used regular white paint I had in the basement and did two coats. I tried my DIY chalk paint I mentioned above but I f-ed it up and didn't have the time or energy to figure out how to do it correctly. Then, I ( really my husband because I'm pregnant and read the label) finished with Minwax WATER BASED polycrylic in clear satin and it looks great now!


Had I done it correctly the first time, the project would have been around $50 and 4 ish hours of work :)

All it took was me getting pregnant and needing the white dresser for the nursery!

Here are some photos. I have the before, after the primer, and after :)


Supplies Needed to Paint a Dresser

1. Primer

I used this brand Primer for this project and I felt like it worked really well. I've also used Kilz Brand on other projects and like that too! I'd get either one at my local hardware store.

2. White latex Paint

3. Minwax Water Based Polycrylic

This one is important you get the right stuff! This is where I messed up the first time :) Make sure to get the Minwax Water Based Polycrylic in Clear Satin!

4. Dresser Knobs

We used these Black Dresser Knobs and they look so nice on the white paint! You can shop online or head to the hardware store and see what they've got there!


Other DIY Projects you might like:

Follow me on Instagram!

Easy Painted Dresser DIY Tutorial

Laundry Room Renovation - Phase 2

Laundry Room Renovation - Phase 2

DIY Laundry Room Renovation - Phase 1

DIY Laundry Room Renovation - Phase 1

0